Tennis Scholarships in the United States
Why the United States?
Tennis Scholarships in United States
Limited Number of Scholarships in Tennis Teams
|University Division||Amount of universities||Limited amount of scholarships per Team||Average number of players per team|
|NCAA D I||263||4,5||10|
|NCAA DIII *||314||–||11|
|University Division||Amount of Universities||Limited Amount of Scholarships Available per Team||Average Number of Players per Team|
|NCAA D I||320||8||9|
|NCAA DIII *||361||–||10|
What Do Tennis Scholarships Cover in the United States?
- Tuition and Fees
- Accommodation (residence or apartment)
- Health insurance
- Sports eligibility: Minimum test scores must be met in order to be eligible in all university divisions.
- In order to be accepted at universities, the tennis player must meet the academic requirements on the exams.
- You can receive an academic scholarship that is added to the amount of athletic scholarship, resulting in a greater total scholarship. In order to obtain academic scholarships, you must have good high school grades and high scores on the SAT exam.
Level of Tennis Needed to Obtain a Tennis Scholarship in the United States
How do College Coaches in USA Measure the Level of a Tennis Player?
- Tennis Ranking (ITF Juniors, ATP/WTA Ranking, national ranking, state/county ranking, rating)
- Experience in national, international, or professional competitions. (It is important to have good results and be active with appearances in tournaments).
- Results against opponents (players with a national ranking, ITF, ATP/WTA ranking).
- Results against players at American universities
- Video of tennis player
- Global College USA evaluation (we watch the player in person and evaluate his/her tennis level. After several years of good work, coaches in America value our opinion hugely. Sometimes ranking does not display the real level of tennis players due to inactivity in competitions or various other factors).
- Personal visits of university coaches. At Global College USA we organise visits from college coaches to our players at the highest level. This gives our players and their families a chance to meet the coaches in person and the coaches can also watch them play in person to gain a better understanding of their level. Doing this increases the chances of obtaining a tennis scholarship at a high-level university.
How Does the Process of Obtaining Tennis Scholarships in USA Work?
- Reach the highest level of tennis possible: The higher the level of tennis, the greater the chance of being offered tennis scholarships. In addition, a greater range of options will be available to the player. It is important to plan tennis training and frequently compete in tournaments to reach the highest possible level for each individual.
- Achieving the highest possible academic level: It is very important to focus on studies to reach a high academic level. Being strong academically has great benefits as we can find many more options for the athlete and find academic scholarships as well as athletic scholarships which will greatly reduce the annual university costs. Good preparation for the SAT exam is an essential part of this.
- We study the individual profile of each tennis player– tennis level, academic level, and preferences regarding university. We look for the options that best suit your sport, academic, and financial preferences. We talk to the player’s family and find the best options that suit the requirements of the family.
- We create a personal route sheet for each player – in this roadmap, with the family we plan; the steps to follow, dates of exams, preparation of these exams (depending on the approach of the division), as well as short, medium, and long term objectives of the process.
- We offer support for the SAT exam.
- We make the video for each player. We travel in person to visit each tennis player and his/her family and make the video in person. We take care of the editing and performance of the video. The video is very important as it will be included in our letter of introduction to the American coaches. At Global College USA we ensure the video is produced to the highest quality.
- With the final video in hand, we create an academic and sports profile of the tennis player which we use to contact university tennis coaches.
- We start contacting universities that fit the profile and preferences of the tennis player and his/her family. We work with all universities in the United States and all the states that correspond with the profile of the tennis player.
- We negotiate with each coach or university to obtain the maximum scholarship and best possible conditions for each player .
- We present a report with several options in sufficient time to make the decision. The report includes information such as: name of the university, location, size, academic level, tennis level, costs without scholarship, scholarship amount, annual costs payable …
- We offer several options within the budget. We will always offer several alternatives so that families can choose between a few different options. We continue to search for options until the family is ready to make a choice.
- We help the player and his family with the choice of university and give advice, but we don’t interfere with the family’s final decision.
- We process the signing of the final offer from the university that the player has chosen.
- We help with the college division eligibility procedure in which the college competes in (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA).
- We help complete the admission process with the chosen university (sending SAT exams, paperwork admissions …)
- We arrange the meal plans and living arrangementsfor the tennis player.
- We take care of obtaining medical insurancein the USA.
- We handle the processing of the US student visa with each player.
- We arrange the flights and the arrival of the tennis player so that you have someone on your arrival.
- We help each player settle into their university with advice and help with various areas (sending money to USA, bank cards, questions regarding arrival in the USA)
- We help enquire about jobs within the university.
- If interested, we can help tennis players land jobs during the summer months at American Summer Tennis Camps.
- We offer support during the player’s entire stay in the United States with anything you need: transferring university, general questions, help with paperwork, all without ANY extra cost.
In addition to all these factors, we maintain a very close relationship and are in continuous contact with our athletes and their families. We communicate using WhatsApp, phone calls, email, and in case of urgency you can contact us outside of office hours.